Importantly, by registering as a user of the HealthNow App, you acknowledge and agree that we may collect, hold and share sensitive information about you, including information about your health. Except as otherwise permitted by law, we only collect sensitive information about you if you consent to the collection of the information and if the information is reasonably necessary for the performance of our functions, as described below.
This policy is effective as of 25 October 2019, although we may need to change it from time to time. If we do so, we will post the updated version on our website https://www.healthnow.io/privacy and it will apply to the personal information then held by us.
The kinds of information we collect and hold
The types of information we may collect will include:
- your name, contact details (email address);
- usernames or passwords used to access the HealthNow App;
- health identifiers;
- usage information about your visit to our website and how you use the HealthNow App and any integrated products and services;
- records of your communications and interactions with us;
- location information; and
- health information.
How we collect your information
We may collect your information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you or someone caring for you (such as where you provide information to us when you access the HealthNow App or our website, complete an application form or enter an agreement for the HealthNow App or any integrated products our services, or you contact us with a query or request or to resolve an issue you might be facing);
- from our corporate customers, such as health insurers, hospitals or employers, who make the HealthNow App and its functionalities available to you;
- from your My Health Record, if you or your representative have provided your consent to this, or we are otherwise legally authorised or required to do so;
- if applicable, from the third parties we list in the section of this policy with the heading “When we disclose your personal information”;
- from any data capture which occurs in relation to how you use the HealthNow App or any integrated products or services; and
- via other automatic data collection, such as your device location information. The HealthNow App may collect real-time information about the location of your device, as permitted by you.
If you choose not to provide certain information about you, we may not be able to provide you with access to and use of the HealthNow App or any integrated products or services, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves.
How we hold your information
Details of your information may be stored by the HealthNow App. We may store your information in hard copy or electronic format, in storage facilities that we own and operate ourselves, or that are owned and operated by our service providers. These facilities are situated in Australia.
We take privacy and confidentiality very seriously and we take reasonable steps to maintain the security of your information and to protect it from unauthorised use and disclosure and to ensure that a recipient of your information protects it in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
How we secure your information
The HealthNow App is designed with your security and privacy as our highest priority. We understand that your personal information and health details are private and sensitive information and we'll ensure it is kept that way.
Account and Password Protection
- The HealthNow App is designed so your user account is only accessible by you (or in certain circumstances, people you authorise).
- Your account is password protected.
- We enforce a strong password policy and non-reversible hashing for storage of passwords (this is a one-way function that changes a plain text to a unique code that is irreversible).
- All data containing any personally identifiable or health information accessed or stored by the the HealthNow App is always encrypted at rest and in transit.
- Our security implementation includes strong cryptographic standards.
- The HealthNow App is subject to various ongoing security programs. For some products, this includes penetration testing and daily security vulnerability testing.
Network, Infastructure and Hosting
- Our network and infrastructure is designed with security in mind and is hosted in Australian based data centres.
- Our hosting service is certified by the Australian Signals Directorate - part of the Australian Government's Department of Defence and meets industry standards for physical security and availability.
HealthNow app security
- The HealthNow App is registered on your device and accessed using your account username and password. You also have the option to enable fingerprint or face id login on compatible devices.
- Data is only accessible by authorised users with their unique username and password.
- Our HealthNow app does not store any of your information on your mobile phone.
- After a period of inactivity, your Telstra Health Account requires you to login with your username and password (or fingerprint/face id) again as an additional means of protecting your information.
- All communication between the HealthNow App and our Telstra Health Account servers is handled over SSL secure connections. We utilise methods that ensure our HealthNow App is talking to the Telstra Health Account servers.
Your system security
You should be aware that your own email may not be secure, so care should be taken with images and information being sent from your system.
How we may use your information
We may use your information for a range of different purposes, including:
- to provide you with, and support the operation and functionality of, the HealthNow App and any integrated products and services;
- to enable you to view and monitor your information;
- to administer and manage the HealthNow App and any integrated products and services we provide, to charge and bill for them, and to collect any amounts owing;
- to provide, evaluate and support the HealthNow App, including health records management, secure communications and technology services;
- to provide you with customer service, including to assist you with enquiries;
- to monitor network use, quality and performance, and to operate, maintain, develop, test and upgrade our systems and infrastructure; and
- as otherwise authorised or required by law.
While we also use some application data to gain a better understanding, through analytics programs, of how users utilise the HealthNow App and any integrated products and services, this is undertaken on an anonymised or aggregated basis only.
When we disclose personal information
We may provide the personal information of our customers and prospective customers (excluding health or sensitive information) to other health professionals and also to third parties who provide services to us, including organisations and contractors that assist us with the purposes for which we use that personal information. These services include:
- customer enquiries;
- information technology and network services; and
- mailing operations.
We may also exchange personal information of our customers and prospective customers where appropriate:
- with our related entities;
- with third party vendors;
- with law enforcement and national security agencies, and other government and regulatory authorities;
- with third parties who assist us to manage or develop our business and corporate strategies and functions, including our corporate risk functions; or
- for the purposes of facilitating or implementing a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business.
We may provide information, including sensitive and health information, about you to your usual medical practitioner and their employing or contracting organisation. This will be done subject to your consent.
Where needed we may also provide information about you in referrals to other healthcare practitioners, such as medical specialists.
Third party contractors
From time to time, we engage third party contractors to provide support services in relation to the HealthNow App and any integrated products and services.
Whenever a third party contractor requires access to personal information in order to provide a particular service, we contractually oblige them to protect the confidentiality of such information.
We take the privacy and confidentiality of customer information very seriously, and have implemented a range of measures to protect that information including, depending on the circumstances:
- strict monitoring and access controls regulating which staff can access particular information; and
- network and premises security.
Access to third party services
Connected with the HealthNow App, we may provide you with the opportunity to connect to other third party services or products. We do not endorse these third party services or products and you should review their corresponding terms and conditions and privacy policies before using any third party service or product. We accept no liability in relation to third party services or products.
When you use our location-enabled service (Contact Search) or appointment check-in functionality on the HealthNow App, we may collect and process information about your mobile device’s GPS location (including the latitude, longitude or altitude of your mobile device). We do not store this data and it is only used at the time we are providing services to you. If you wish to use the particular feature, you will be asked to consent to your data being used for this purpose. You can withdraw your consent at any time by disabling location-services functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this.
If you are a customer or prospective customer, we may also use your personal information so that we can promote and market our products and services that we think will be of interest to you on an ongoing basis. This will only be done with your consent.
This marketing may be carried out in a variety of ways (including by direct marketing by mail, telephone or electronic message or by customising on-line content and display advertising on our websites) and may continue for a period after you cease acquiring any products or services from us.
You may opt-out of this type of marketing by following the steps in the marketing communication or contact us using the contact details set out in the “How to contact us” section of this statement.
We do not sell or otherwise provide personal information to unrelated third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
To ensure that we maintain our high standard of clinical care, we may record calls to our service and we will comply with relevant legislation.
We will comply with all relevant legislation governing health records.
How to access or correct your information or make a privacy complaint
If you wish to access any of your information that we hold, or you would like to correct any errors in that information, please contact us using the contact details set out in the “How to contact us” section of this statement, so that we can respond to your request.
You may also use these contact details to notify us of any privacy complaint you have against us, including if you think that we have failed to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles or any binding APP code that has been registered under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). While we hope that we will be able to resolve any complaints you may have without needing to involve third parties, you may also be able to lodge a complaint with a relevant regulator such as the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au or 1300 363 992).
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to this statement or our management of your personal information, including health information, please let us know by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org